The Public Health Major curriculum is grounded by an interdisciplinary foundation of orientation and support courses that undergird a framework of core and concentration courses, culminated by intensive experiential learning in the capstone internship experience. Students must complete 14 course units in five categories:
1) Orientation Course (0 unit),
2) Public Health Support Courses (2 units),
3) Public Health Core Courses (7 units),
4) Public Health Concentration and/or Elective Courses (3 units),
5) Capstone Internship (2 units).
- 120 hours of on-site experiential education with an approved public health agency
- May be completed in the Summer, Fall or Spring of Senior year, or some combination thereof with approval
- To the extent possible, student interests will be matched with internship site
- For more information, visit the Student Resource Center at: https://publichealth.tcnj.edu/src/
Due to the emphasis on global health, Public Health majors must complete a second language through the third sequence (101,102 and 103). A natural science course from the options below and a statistics course (STA 115 or STA 215) also are required for the major and Liberal Learning.
The School of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science on behalf of the Public Health major maintains the right and responsibility to revise content as appropriate in response to changes to accreditation requirements or other professional standards in the field.
CEPH Accreditation Update
The Council of Education in Public Health (CEPH) assures quality in public health education and training to achieve excellence in practice, research and service. On September 15th and 16th, 2022, CEPH accreditors visited the TCNJ Department of Public Health and met with many students, alumni, faculty, administration, and community representatives to learn more about our program. This visit was in response to our program application for accreditation. Thank you to all who were able to meet with the accreditation team, we greatly appreciate the time you spent in this process.
The CEPH Council will be meeting March 5-6, 2023 to make our accreditation decision. If we receive a positive accreditation decision our initial accreditation date will be from March 13, 2020 forward.
We are visible on the CEPH website as a current applicant. This information is especially important for students considering attending graduate, medical or another professional school. To learn more about the benefits of CEPH accreditation, visit the CEPH website and the FAQ section for students. CEPH can be contacted at (202) 789-1050 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the accreditation process click here.
TCNJ is already fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.