Public health degrees open doors beyond just the commonly assumed government career path. There are actually a wide variety of settings in which public health graduates may work, as with any degree program.
Some of those settings are:
- Public: Health department administration, disaster preparedness and public nursing are just three areas in which a public health graduate may work for the government.
- Education: Education-related roles in public health are often as teachers to public health students or within research.
- Private: Whether as a consultant or employee, public health graduates often work for pharmaceutical brands, healthcare organizations or insurance companies.
- Non-profit: Non-profit roles for public health graduates tend to address gaps in healthcare or specialize in a specific population. For example, a non-profit role may serve minorities, veterans or mothers.
With a Masters in Public Health, students have a wider range of options working in Public Health compared to a BA degree. That is there are more jobs that would focus on research, program building, implementation and evaluation and management. However, lots of new positions are available for those at the BA level. For example, most Health Education positions are at the BA level. BA level Public Health majors find positions at federal, state, county and city Departments of Health. These range from monitoring disease trends, basic epidemiology, health inspection, program administration, and more. These kinds of government positions provide additional training and certification as part of the on-the-job staff development.
There are also positions with Community Based Organizations at the BA level including organizations like the American Heart Association, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and others that are generally disease specific (like cancer or autism) or population specific (child services). Many of our students also find placements in hospitals and clinics. These students often develop brochures and other health education communication materials and conduct community workshops in health promotion activities.
Of course, the BA also positions students to go on for a Masters degree. Many of our students are Nursing or Pre-med minors as well.
Some Careers In Public Health
- Child Health Specialist
- Chronic Disease Health Educator
- Community Activist
- Community Health Educator
- Epidemiology Investigator
- Community Outreach Specialist
- Disaster Preparedness Coordinator
- Disease Ecologist
- Emergency Preparedness Specialist
- Environmental Health Supervisor
- Food Inspector
- Hazardous Waste Inspector
- Health & Wellness Manager
- Health Communications
- Health Legislative Assistant
- Health Informatics Specialist
- NGO Manager
- Patient Navigator
- Patient Safety Specialist
- Population Health Manager
- Public Health Coordinator
- Public Health Educator
- Public Health Policy Analyst
- Public Health Surveillance Manager
- Worksite Wellness Manager
- Disease Classification Specialists